Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Some Apple Butter Please


Dear Everybody,

There is a lone apple tree right by the neighbors fence that is a favorite of my kids. Just recently the apples have been falling off and if I am wondering where the kids have gone, the apple is usually a good guess. They are not the most beautiful apples, but they're edible and they're plentiful. So yesterday the kids picked up a five gallon bucket full of these pitiful looking apples and asked for apple butter. "PLEASE Mom? Can you make some yummy apple butter?"

So I put the kids to work. Years ago we found a gadget at the thrift store for pennies... Come to find out it is a Pampered Chef apple stripper. It comes in handy especially when there is a mountain of fruit to peal and core because it does it all for you as you turn the handle. The kids love it! So they took turns, washing the apples and turning the handle.



To save a few pesos I decided to cook the apples on the cook stove Danny made as part of his grill/smoker. Firewood is cheaper than propane at this point!


What fun it was and by tonight we should have some yummy apple butter to spread on some homemade buns! Wish you could join us for supper!

love,

Liz

3 comments:

Esther said...

LOVE IT!!! Thanks for writing again :)

Farrells three said...

Ooooh!! Can you send some to me? I LOVE apple butter. At least send me your recipe and the workers!! :)

Farrells three said...

I love apple butter. Can you send me your recipe AND the workers!!!??